Digital marketing connects with customers and promotes a company’s products or services through online channels like social media, email, search engines, and websites.
Over the last few years, it has become an essential aspect of any business’s marketing strategy, with an increasing share of the marketing budget every year, it allows businesses to reach a wider audience and build brand awareness at a relatively low cost. However, it seems that businesses do not always see the envisioned Return on Marketing Investment (ROMI) from digital marketing activities.
Some of the reasons for this include the complexity of the individual activities and incorrect segmentation, targeting, and positioning.
Why is Digital Marketing more relevant than ever? Here is my top 6 list of why:
- Increased online visibility: A strong online presence allows businesses to reach more customers and increase leads.
- Cost-effective: Digital marketing is often more cost effective than traditional marketing methods. Online marketing channels allow businesses to target specific demographics and track the effectiveness of their campaigns, making it easier to allocate resources and get the best return on investment.
- Greater engagement: Digital marketing allows businesses to engage with customers in real time and build relationships with them. Social media platforms, in particular, provide opportunities for businesses to interact with customers and answer their questions or concerns.
- Better customer insights: Digital marketing provides businesses with access to valuable customer data, including demographics, purchasing habits, and preferences. This information can help businesses tailor their marketing efforts and create more targeted campaigns that resonate with their audience.
- Real, measurable results: One of the biggest advantages of digital marketing is the ability to track and measure results in real time. This allows businesses to see what is and isn’t working, and adjust as needed to improve the effectiveness of their campaigns.
- Personalisation: Digital marketing allows businesses to personalise their marketing efforts and messaging to better connect with their target audience. This can be done through targeted email campaigns, personalised social media posts, and more.
Digital marketing is integral to all brands and scalable for businesses of all sizes, as the digital landscape continues to grow and evolve. With more and more consumers using the internet to research products and services, it is essential for businesses to have a strong online presence to reach and engage with their target audience.
However, in order to see the exponential results that digital marketing can provide, you must also stay current on digital marketing trends and tools. Here are some pointers to make your Digital Marketing fly:
- Digital marketing needs to be more inclusive across your marketing value chain. Customers want to resonate with the words and images they are seeing from their brands. Diverse audiences require far more depth and breadth than traditional marketing.
- Advertising must go beyond a single product or service. They must have sustainable purposes as part of their messaging, and digital is no exception. This is what customers are expecting.
- Privacy and trust are keywords when thinking about Digital Marketing. Advertisers need to be conscious of these elements. Don’t just think in lead generation forms and data.
- Pay attention to the younger generation, if that is your target market. They have grown up with the internet, and getting their attention requires innovative thought and action. They require dynamic and highly visual content. Do not try to bring that audience into your world; you must go to theirs.
- Pay attention to “snackable” content. Even Netflix recognises this and differentiates their content on its mobile platform. However, don’t forget the principles of storytelling when generating the content, regardless of length.
Because of the complexity and variety of this digital form of marketing, every internal individual who comes into contact with a brand’s product or service should understand the fundamentals of digital marketing. It can’t just be a handful of people like the Head of Marketing and Freelance SEO specialists, as this is where Digital Marketing becomes a black hole that budgets fall into.
Address digital marketing principles, strategies and technologies in today’s digital world with MasterStart and Coventry University. Save your seat on our 7-week Digital Marketing online short course.
Nishan is our Industry Expert on our 7-week Digital Marketing course in collaboration with Coventry University. a millennial and digital native who extensively understands digital implementation and digital innovation. He holds an Honours in Industrial Psychology and a Masters in Digital Transformation and Innovation Leadership (IE University).